Alabama Wedding Photographer Samantha Alday offers a documentary style approach to photographing weddings. Her fresh and modern images are unrehearsed and capture the true emotions of the day as they actually happen. Samantha commissions a limited number of wedding events each year delivering the most in personal customer service, unique attention to detail and the specific needs of each client.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Saying Yes More

It was late in the afternoon, probably around 6'ish...maybe even closer to 7. The boys were out of the house for the evening and I noticed Shelby had already showered and was spending alot of time in her newly painted, bright turquoise bedroom. I thought she was just enjoying how clean and fresh it was for the first time in 'um, eh hem, years. : ) (You parents of 12 year old girls know what I'm talking about). When her door opened, her hair had been flat-ironed and she was dressed-well sorta dressed-she was wearing a nice shirt and pj bottoms. : ) She stood in silence for a minute with a look in her eye that she was seriously thinking about something. "What's up?", I asked. To which she replied, "I think I need a new Facebook picture." My first thought was that it was too late or maybe we could wait until another day. But as I looked at the face of my baby girl-all of a sudden turned preteen-who wanted her mama to take her picture like she does for everybody else, I quickly replied, "Let's do it, I'll meet you outside!" Without any hesitation she said, "I'm going to put on some makeup" as she headed back down the hall. In less than 5 minutes with just a touch of powder, mascara and lip gloss, we were outside, camera in tow, searching for the perfect light. How has she grown up so fast? Have I savored every moment? It was in those few minutes I was trying to recap the first 12 years of her life, trying to remember everything. I should have been writing things down, I thought. What have I forgotten? I am so thankful for the prompting to put down whatever probably really insignificant something or another I was doing at the time and simply say yes. She was entrusting me, not so much as her mom, but moreso as a photographer to do this for her; it was important to her. It may have only been a Facebook picture for her, but for me, those 10 minutes in the front yard was something special that I won't forget. I know I'm going to remember, 'cause this time I'm writing it down. : )

1 Comments:

  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger TBG said…

    Samantha! that was such a touching blog. how beautiful it was for you to be so in the moment and realize the importance of slowing down and saying yes. thank you for sharing.... what a great reminder.
    taylor brannon gamble
    taylorandjosh.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home