Alabama Wedding Photographer Samantha Alday offers a documentary style approach to photographing weddings. Her fresh and modern images are unrehearsed and capture the true emotions of the day as they actually happen. Samantha commissions a limited number of wedding events each year delivering the most in personal customer service, unique attention to detail and the specific needs of each client.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

No Regrets

A few weeks ago I met a young woman I'll call Jane. We began chatting and she mentioned she had just recently married. You know the only thing I could do next was ask her "who photographed your wedding"? She went on to tell me and share her story abit more. "We had an original budget that just kept getting bigger and bigger so we had to start cutting back. We chose to cut back on our photographer. His prices were really cheap and the pictures are good, but cutting back on my photographer is the only regret I have in all of my wedding decisions."

Jane went on to tell me that there were lots of pictures that her photographer missed, as well as she had to direct him/her in everything. This particular photographer basically wanted to know every single image that Jane and her groom wanted. Her reply to that? "I didn't know what to tell him, I thought he should know that." And because of that, a lot of pictures were not captured. And yes, while communication is extremely important, this is a great example of the differences between a more traditional style of photography and the photojournalistic approach. A photojournalist is a documentor and story teller, not just a photographer. The actual Story Teller of your wedding day.

Jane also said that the main advice she gives to any of her friends now who are getting married is to not 'cut back' when choosing their photographer. "I tell everybody I can!" She enthusiastically declared.

After talking with her I immediately began thinking how I can share her story with you. Why? Because this is a repeat story that I find we are hearing way too often after the wedding day. I know the next two statements I'm about to make are cliche', but they still hold valuable truth!

1. Long after the wedding day is gone, all you have left are your memories and the pictures. Well let me tell ya, the older I get the fewer memories I'm able to find! ; ) Because the wedding day is such a blur anyway, if it weren't for my video and my wedding album, I wouldn't remember anything from the day.

2. You get what you pay for. Period. It's as simple as that. I'm not going to stereotype that and claim that to be true 100% of the time, but I'm willing to bet it's true more often than not. Now I'm not necessarily saying that you have to pay out the wazoo for everything, but make your decisions wisely on how to best use your budget.

Also in thinking of my conversation with Jane, I've come up with a few important points for you to consider when choosing your photographer.

1. First and foremost, actually think about how important is the photography to you? I think you need to decide this first before you actually begin searching for your photographer. Once you determine that value and importance, you can narrow your search for photographers that also express that same value.

2. What is your style? You have a vision for your wedding day event and how you want everything to marry (pardon the pun) to bring to fruition that vision. Don't forget about your photography in that vision. The style of your photographer and the work he/she represents should also represent your vision. Which brings me to my next point.

3. Consider the photographer's style. Is it traditional? Is it candid and documentary? How can you tell? Simply check out their website. Is it fresh and modern or older and more traditional. Does it seem to be 'kept up' and updated frequently? Does it stir emotion in you? That's a silly question, but that's what pictures that tell stories should do for you? Think about yourself in that situation and what emotion your photographer will capture for you on your wedding day? Does the style of the photographer correlate with your style? Does this photographer have a blog (an online journal of recent events)? I strongly believe this is a critical factor. A blog is where you can really learn more about your photographer, see recent events, stay updated on their work, but also get to know them as a person (which I'll also discuss a little later).

4. What products do they offer? Just as your style and the photographer's style should parallel, the products they offer should complete or culminate your vision. Those products should be a representative of their work, their style and your style and be the final icing on your cake (okay, sorry for another pun). Again, I believe that same cliche' applies here: you get what you pay for. If your photographer is of high value and high quality, any of the products they offer should hold that same high value and quality as well.

5. And finally, I think this an important one: Is your potential photographer someone you can have a relationship with? Regardless of any of the above points, if you don't 'click' with them, you just don't click (last pun I promise). Why is this so important? Because your photographer is not just another vendor that you'll only see on the wedding day or maybe not at all if it's a vendor that totally works behind the scenes. Your photographer, like I've mentioned before, is responsible for telling your story that will be with you for a lifetime. Can you trust them with that responsibility? This is a person that you'll spend your wedding day with; will you feel comfortable with them while sharing such an important day? Your relationship with your photographer begins long before your wedding day and will continue hopefully, long after.

So there you go. I hope you don't think that I'm preaching to you that you have to spend a fortune to fulfill that vision and have the wedding of your dreams. I'm also not condemning you if the photography is not on the top of your priority list. But I hope these ideas and tips give you something to think about and are helpful to you so you, like Jane, will have no regrets.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Perfectly said!!! Austin and I are so thankful for the choice we made having you as our photographer. I hope lots of brides-to-be can see this before making the big photographer decision!! It will be incredibly helpful for them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home