Alabama Wedding Photographer Samantha Alday offers a documentary style approach to photographing weddings. Her fresh and modern images are unrehearsed and capture the true emotions of the day as they actually happen. Samantha commissions a limited number of wedding events each year delivering the most in personal customer service, unique attention to detail and the specific needs of each client.

Monday, January 19, 2009

God and Baseball

If you've ever read my blog on a regular basis, you know that I post lots of personal pictures of my family and that I also love the sport of baseball...especially when Joseph is playing. Now what does this have to do with the title of this post? Bear with me; it's coming. : )

This past Saturday my family, including my mom and youngest brother walked/ran in a 5K (all at my mother's prompting I should add). : ) Anyway, Saturday celebrated 22 months since Joseph's leg injury. It was a time there when we weren't sure if he would walk normally again or play the sport he loves to play; much less run in a 5K! (And he made it in about 32 minutes!)

Also, as I post this today, I remember 10 years ago today I was being admitted to the hospital where I would receive a diagnosis that would also change me (us) forever. Crazy to think about my bout with cancer was 10 years ago! Some of the memories seem like yesterday and some of it seems like a lifetime ago.

During the time I was posting about Joseph's injury and progress I received a blog comment from an anonymous poster who sarcastically questioned "what does God have to do with baseball"? I was too raw to publish that quote or comment about it. But for some reason it has come back to my mind over these last few days and I wanted to address it now.

You see, God is in everything we do and without Him we could do nothing. Without Him, we wouldn't have made it through Shelby's birth and her stay in the ICU when her heartrate was too low and the nights we lay awake watching her breathe and listening to her apnea monitor. We wouldn't have made it through hearing those words that no one ever wants to hear. You could have blown us over with a feather when the doctor told us that I had colon cancer. Without Him, we wouldn't have made through the surgeries and the six months of chemo I endured. We wouldn't have made it without Him as we watched our 13 year son lay in a hospital bed for two weeks and have four surgeries to save his leg during that time. Only to watch him go through another surgery a few months later followed by six months of complete bedrest and a year of recovery. I still pray for him usually every morning when I hear him get up and walk down the hall for the first time and I hear the limp in his footstep because his leg is a little stiff in the mornings.

So fast forward to today. Without Him I wouldn't have a beautiful, healthy, soon-to-be 13 year old Shelby. Without Him, I wouldn't be healed of cancer for 10 years now. Without Him, Joseph wouldn't have been able to show us his 'beastly' (his word-not mine) calf muscle last night that he is obviously quite proud of because this time last year he hardly had a calf muscle at all. Without Him, Joseph wouldn't be practicing baseball again this year. So for us, God is in everything we do, whether it be dealing with life altering decisions and/or sufferings, day to day drudgeries and even our baseball. : )

And trust me, I'm not being somber and solemn this morning; I'm celebrating! : )



Hope you're having a good Monday.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home